↑ Return to Library Info.

Library History

About the Library History

History of the Library 1914 The Economic Club organized for purpose of establishing a reading room under the direction of Mrs. W.E. Hadly. Mrs. Harry Gephart and Mrs. Alvin Keller 1915 Founded library shelf in Mrs. Frisby’s hat shop Mrs. Frisby as librarian. 1918 Economic Club presented library to city of Tremonton. The mayor appointed Mrs. J.A. King. Mrs. C.C. Wilson. Mrs. W.H. Stone and Mrs H. T Woodward as the first library board. 1914-1930 Book showers. bake sales. banquets and later the yearly May Festival. were the constant relentless fund-raising projects directed at providing library service to the community. 1920 Commercial Club offered use of their rooms. rent free, Economic Club purchased materials for shelving. Mrs. AA. Purse was librarian assisted by club volunteers. 1922 Library Board and city council rented south annex of bank building. (Norlands) 1923 Increased rental forced to move to upstairs of the Waldron Building. (Hamilton Drug) Economic Club contributed $3,000.00 to assist in building present building. 1930 Library dedicated. 1930-1958 Mrs W.H. (Martha) Stone served as librarian. Much credit is due to her combined development and accumulation of reading materials 1958-1959 Olive Dockstader. Gertrude Eberhard and Ruth Packer served as librarians. 1960 to 1988 Mrs. Henry (Jessie) Van Sweden. The city has made many improvements including a gas furnace, new lighting, the replacement of windows, painting of interior and exterior, carpeting and ramp. With the increased population and circulation in the past 20 years, many people have worked toward the dream of enlarging the library. Now, thanks to Jay Dee and Alice C. Harris the dream has come true with the beautiful addition and remodeling of the existing building which doubled the space. 1988. The technology age has entered the Library with computers for accessing the collection, checking in and out and internet computers available to the public. 1988-2009 Lorna H. Adams became the Director after Jessie Van Sweden’s retirement. 2009 On January 30th Library Director Lorna H. Adams retired. She served this community well and was a great asset to our Library. Kim Griffiths replaced her. Kim had worked with Mrs. Adams for the previous 5 years and is well suited for the job as Head Libraian.